Monday, January 1, 2007

January 2007

I'm going to attempt to document this past year, recognizing that it will be abbreviated due to this format. Here it goes!

January brought many exciting events and changes to our family. To begin with, our family took a fun last-minute trip to Fresno primarily to visit Dale's family, but also to say goodbye to the homestead on Maple Avenue . We're not sure when the land will be sold, so we thought we'd take the opportunity to see it one last time (or so we thought). My parents drove me and Laurel down so they, too, could experience the orange orchard one final time. We all had a great time together.

I think it is hard for Dale to realize that the home he spent the majority of his life in will no longer be around. I, too, feel a great deal of sadness because I have so many great memories of our many visits home to Fresno. One of the greatest memories is our wedding reception back in 2000. The yard looked like a beautiful park, filled with twinkle lights, palm trees, hundreds of flowers, and a gazebo filled with an orchestra.
Since our wedding, we have spent a lot of time together as a family at the old homestead, celebrating every occasion important to the Christensen family. From the annual 4th of July party, Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas and New Years celebrations, and the annual Memorial Day BBQ/pool party, we have had the time of our lives. The picture above was taken during our Christmas 2005 visit to Fresno. We will miss picking and eating the best oranges known to mankind, no lie!

January also brought a fun trip for me to Chicago to see the Oprah Winfrey Show in person with some girlfriends from Wharton. Vallarie, Wendy, and I took a quick trip to the Windy City (and boy was it windy and cold - now I remember why I hated that city in the Winter!) We spent the night at a nice hotel off of Michigan Avenue, ate Giordano's deep dish pizza (see picture to the left), and stayed up half the night giggling and talking. The show itself was ok - it was on "The Secret" and wasn't really the subject of our choice, but we enjoyed it anyway and now we can say we've been there and done that. It was such a nice break from the kiddos and student life, but I was glad to get back to my life in Philadelphia. We only had 4 more months left on the East coast and then we'd be off to Texas for Dale's new job after graduation.




No comments: