

I took the kids to BYU for a day so that we could visit one of my favorite places. Provo is not my most favorite place in the world to live, but I sure did enjoy attending BYU for my undergrad years. I'm always amazed at how much the school changes each time I return. I began my BYU experience back in 1994 and with a brief hiatus for my mission (1997-1999), I finally graduated in 2001. In those years, I remember the construction of the new library, the Eyring Science Center, and the Benson Building. Since then, it seems like everything is new! BYU will always be one of my most favorite campuses. Not just because of its beauty, but I have so many great memories that I made. Here are just a few:- Freshman year at Carroll Hall and my roomies (Heather, Emily, Shona, Becky, and Caroline)
-Study relief at the Morriss Center (Deseret Towers) for ice cream . . . $1.00 bought you a gigantic scoop of some of the best ice cream you'll ever eat . . . now I know where the freshman 15 came from :-)
-Getting drenched during a crazy water fight in our dorm . . .
-Yelling out my dorm window when students were loud as they walked up the sidewalk towards D.T. It was usually midnight or later - the funny thing is that Dale remembers some crazy girl yelling out the window once while he and a group of friends walked up that sidewalk back in 1994 . . . it was probably his crazy future wife! Ha Ha! One thing people should know about me is that I can't stand it when anyone interupts my sleep with loud noises - of course, now that I have children, that's a regular occurance.
-Working out at the RB and in the weight room . . . I can still smell the sweat in that gym!
-Going to a spring dance at the Tanner Building and my undergarments glowing in the dark! Nobody, including my boyfriend, bothered to tell me until afterwards! No wonder everyone was looking at me - I thought I must have been looking pretty good, but apparantly that was not the case - I was the joke of the evening!
-Girls nights out at Los Hermanos, McDonalds, and Stevenettes for the best shakes.
-Four wheeling in my roomies Jeep up at Squaw Peek, Death Valley CA (spring break 1999), and anywhere else it would go.
-Nearly getting stuck in the birth canal at Nutty Putty Caves - that was a rush I will never forget!
-Snowshoeing and hiking in the beautiful mountains surrounding Utah Valley.
-Passing Econ 110 and Stats 223 . . . it was seriously a miracle.
-Working at the Varsity Theatre and Candy Jar. Friday and Saturday nights were crazy, but it was fun to see friends and enjoy sampling the candy when it accidentally fell on the counter . . . oops!
-BYU Football, Basketball, and Volleyball (men's and women's)!!! Need I say more.
-Intramural sports
-Working at the Career Placement office for the director, who was one of the most difficult bosses I've ever had. I loved him, but he was still difficult. I still don't know how I survived that job. Anyone who worked with me knows why it was difficult . . . you just had to be there.
-Meeting my husband at a mission reunion. Yes, I did get my Mrs. degree while at BYU, but I managed to wait until I was 24 and had only 2 semesters left.
I could go on and on about my years at BYU, but I better not. There were good days and bad days, but collectively they were great years. I hope that whereever Andrew and Laurel choose to go to college, they will have great memories like mine.
Above are some pictures of the kids on campus. We stopped at the new alumni center named after President Gordon B. Hinckley. It was very impressive, which is fitting for the buildings namesake. We then strolled through campus and eventually made it to the bookstore for ice cream and candy. What a great way to end the day! Poor Andrew had to settle for a bottle, but one day he'll hopefully get the chance to sample BYU ice cream.
2 comments:
I'm always up for creamery ice cream! I also have tons of fun memories at BYU--I hope my kids go there!
We sometimes get a chance to go back to the BYU Bookstore, and we usually get some chocolates or candy at their counter there. I haven't been back to the creamery in ages, though. Maybe this week, when I have to pick up some art prints, we'll take the kids there and get some ice cream.
Post a Comment