Sunday, August 10, 2008

Welcome back!

While we were in SLC, Dale flew in from London to see us on his way back to Dallas. It was a fun, quick 36 hours.


We enjoyed eating burgers at Crown Burgers downtown. I have so many happy memories eating there with my family as a child - My grandma lived just down the road so it was close and we loved the food. Now it's pretty expensive, but tastes as good as I remember.


I enjoyed driving through my grandma's old neighborhood. Although she is no longer alive, I still feel her presence. I remember our walks to the city, burgers and Cokes at the Woolworth's counter, and trips to all of her banks. The best part of the trip was when she gave each of us $1.00 to spend at Woolworth's. I usually bought a Match Box car like my big brother. I remember rootbeer floats with Cragmont soda she'd buy at the old Safeway up the road. Now the old Safeway is gone and an empty, weed infested lot remains, but I can still remember that store and the delicious, sugary treats she would buy us. I'm a sentimental person and anytime I return to my past, I turn inward and remember those wonderful memories.

Once we left downtown SLC, we drove to Bountiful to visit with Dale's grandma. She is 98 years old and lives in an assisted living residence. We enjoyed our visit with her. Laurel enjoyed riding on Great Grandma's magical chair that moved up and down. We also enjoyed eating See's Chocolates which are Great Grandma's favorite.
We were so grateful to have Dale with us even for a short time and thankful for the memories we made together.

No comments: