Thursday, June 25, 2009

Graduation

I/We did it!
Here is a picture of the dean of my program hooding me at the convocation ceremony. I can't believe what you have to do to wear one of those!

My parents flew to Chicago to support me - they have been amazing the past few years as I've worked towards completing this degree. Dad even flew to Dallas for two weeks to help me with the kids while I finished up my thesis. Of course, Dale has also been a great support to me and my endeavors. I'm grateful for all of the love and support. These two pictures (above and below) were taken on the beautiful campus of Northwestern. I spent many hours sitting next to Lake Michigan, finishing a book or completing homework assignments.

After years of hard work and sacrifice, I finally finished something I never thought I could. Last week we traveled to Chicago where I graduated with my masters degree from Northwestern University. I'm so glad that I had that opportunity to attend graduation and bring to a closure a very exciting and stressful period of my life. During the course of my studies, I brought two children into the world, lost four babies, moved three times to three different states, and supported Dale through his MBA program at Wharton. Looking back, I recognize the love and support I received from family and friends that helped make this possible. I never could have flown to Chicago to attend classes without the help of my parents and Dale's parents who watched Laurel. I never could have survived my philosophy class or my American literature class without Dale, my sounding board and idea generator. I was very surprised when the dean of my program spoke about me at the ceremony and the difficult circumstances I've had to overcome to finish my degree. It reiterated to me something that I've always known - we must never, ever give up. One of the best things we can teach our children in this day and age is to finish what you start and to do the best you can. Reach for the stars. Don't be afraid to fail - there usually is someone there to grab your hand and pull you back up. For me, my family (parents, husband, children) performed that role beautifully and without complaint. Thanks to my mother-in-law, who made it possible for us to leave our children behind in Dallas. It made for a much easier trip. Now on to the next adventure and challenge! Stay tuned for more pictures from our trip to Chicago - we had such a wonderful time.

12 comments:

Margo said...

Wahoo! What a huge accomplishment. You should be so proud of yourself. Think of the amazing example you are setting for your children. love ya...

The Yosts said...

yeah! congratulations!

Heather said...

Congratulations Jen! You are seriously Super Woman!

The Hansen Clan said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are amazing and I admire you so much. Enjoy your accomplishments and know that we are thinking about you. You are my HERO!

JT and Kristin said...

You are such an inspiration to me! Congrats, I am so happy for you!

Monika said...

Wow! I am so proud of you. BTW -- I didn't know you had 4 miscarriages. I am so sorry (been there 4 times myself).

jenafeldman said...

congratulations!!! You are amazing and so dedicated. What a great example to your sweet kids. Great job!

melissa walker said...

Congrats on a great accomplishment! It was so fun to see you--next time Paul goes to Dallas, I'm coming along! I already miss you!

Annie said...

Wow, congrats! You're an example to so many of us!

Katie said...

Jen, I'm so proud of you. What a fabulous accomplishment! So glad you could attend graduation at beautiful Northwestern!! Great work!

Rob said...

Jenn, congrats! Truly inspirational.

Jenn

Monica Hudson said...

I haven't checked in in a while, I guess...or maybe I just missed this one...but CONGRATS! You are inspirational to me as I've put my degree on the back burner and let life take over. It's something I dream about completing when the time is right...so congrats - it's truly an accomplishment to be proud of!