
We enjoyed revisiting the city of Chicago. Here I am with my mom right next to the Wrigley Building (off of Michigan Avenue). I remember standing not too far from here on St. Patrick's Day 2003 when they dyed the river green. That was a fun memory for us. I also remember getting pick-pocketed across the bridge from this location back in 2001, a couple of days after arriving in Chicago. That was not such a happy memory.
Here we are down by the Water Tower off of Michigan Avenue. I used to walk by this every day on my way to work. I really enjoyed my lunch hours when I worked off of Michigan Avenue. I used to eat quickly and then walk up and down Michigan Avenue for exercise and enjoyment.
After my convocation on Saturday, we drove to Mundelein to visit my childhood friend, Missy, and her family. Missy and Paul moved to Chicago shortly after we did in 2001. It was a fun time reconnecting with them. I wish I had a digital copy of our first picture together - we were kindergartners waiting in line to start our first day of school. Missy and her twin, Heather, were in the background of the picture. Little did I know that we would be friends for a long time! Canyon View Elementary, Butler Middle School, Brighton High School, Seminary Council 1993-1994, BYU, and Chicago - who knew?
No trip to Chicago would be quite complete without at least 3 stops by Johnnie's for an Italian lemonade. They are the smoothest, most refreshing lemon ices you will ever taste. My favorite part of these treats would be the chunks of frozen lemon rinds mixed throughout. I know that probably sounds gross, but they taste candied. When it's 100+ degrees outside with horrific humidity, these treats are the only things that can quench my thirst. And, in case you're wondering, you don't swallow the lemon rinds. My mom and dad loved these lemon ices. When we lived in Chicago, we spent many hot summer days enjoying these treats with David and his family.
Last, but certainly not least, this is the wonderful Jackson Blvd apartment we lived in for 2 blessed years (do you sense some sarcasm?). We lived on the 2nd floor, right side. Our neighbors above were so loud for those 2 years. The only way I survived was ear plugs and brooms to bang on the ceiling. They celebrated their wedding for one full month every single night - music, dancing, etc. It was their national custom to do so, which is fine, just not for the people living below. One night (about one year after their wedding) I had to call the police because the ceiling was bouncing and glass was breaking. I found out later that the husband was beating up his wife - so very sad. We also slept with cardboard in our windows because the city lights were so bright. We'll never forget this place as long as we live!Other highlights from our trip:
- Museum of Science and Industry (I still love going to this museum - it never gets old).
- Portillos, Edwardos Pizza, Long Grove Apple Haus, and Amarind Thai in Oak Park.
- Lake Michigan
- Beautiful Evanston
- Lots of time in the car driving (I was the official driver and was surprised at how much I remembered).
- Westchester First Ward - it was so fun visiting with our friends (Hatch's, Barnes', Holgreen's, Sister Fecske, Blakely's, and many others).
Next post: Lake Tahoe, my 33r'd birthday, Fresno, and Santa Barbara.
3 comments:
Ok you forgot the smell of curry! lol!! And yes you were a very proficient driver. Almost too good. i had to hold on in the Chicago traffic with Jen at the wheel! LOL!! Ah memories!
I was taking a tour boat ride on the river back in 2003 with my sister on St. Pat's. I was pregnant and it was cold and maybe I walked by at some point of time in Chicago and never knew it.
MMM, those lemon ices sound so good right now! Lemon has helped me with morning sickness. You and I should talk--compare ways to battle the dreaded nausea, etc. Congratulations!!
Post a Comment