Relationships have always been an integral part of my life. When I get down, feel frustrated, or just need a little lift, I think about the people who have meant the most to me in my life. Several weeks ago I had the wonderful opportunity to browse through my old missionary scrapbooks in search of the perfect pictures to share at my mission reunion which was held on October 1st. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend President and Sister Stewart's reunion, but I felt like I was there in spirit. As I looked for the perfect pictures, I was overwhelmed with the number of pictures I wanted to share. Unfortunately, I was limited to 3. I thought it would be fun to share just a few that I was able to scan.
First off, this wonderful person to the left is my Sister Casperson. I can't write or speak about Sister Casperson without shedding tears. She passed away 3 years ago this month from Ewings sarcoma cancer. Sister Casperson and I served in Saarbruecken, Germany back in the fall of 1997. Sister Casperson was such a joy to serve with. Nothing could get her down and her optimism rubbed off on me during those difficult months. After a day of slammed doors, "nein, keine Interesse," insults, etc, we would come home and decompress. This picture above is only one example of many when she tried to make us all laugh after a hard day. In this particular picture, Sister Casperson is dressed up as a potential investigator we might find as we street contacted. I remember role playing with her that night and trying to practice not only our German, but the various ways we could approach people. She sure knew how to make lemonade out of lemons. How could anyone tell her no? I know that Heavenly Father placed her in my life for many, many reasons, one of which was to witness firsthand what it is like to have no guile and to be full of charity and love for others. Have you ever just come across people in your life who are just so, so good? I have, and Sister Casperson is one of those special people in my life.
Here is another trip down memory lane. This particular picture is from a rehearsal we held prior to a musical fireside we held in Offenbach, Germany. I was fortunate to participate in the traveling group of missionaries that toured the mission, teaching the gospel to members and non-members at these special musical firesides. It was an awesome experience and it reconfirmed to me the power of music. It was a wonderful tool for sharing the gospel with many people in the Frankfurt region.
Here is another special group of people that I loved. Here is my Saarbruecken district back in October of 1997. I'm in the front row along with Sister Casperson. Sister Baxter is the third member of our "Dritt" or threesome. We served with some great Elders as well. I'd like to point out that the blonde Elder next to Sister Baxter was our district leader. Elder Bellmann was a wonderful missionary and friend. About three years ago, this great Elder passed away in a motorcycle accident back in Germany. I'm still shocked that two of my friends from this time of my life are no longer alive, but I'm so thankful for the positive memories I have to remember them.
Finally, here are just a handful of the awesome sister missionaries from the Frankfurt Germany mission. So grateful for this time in my life. I loved these women and felt it a great privilege to serve and work with them. Good times!One of my greatest hopes is that my children will fill their lives with positive role models that will surround them and buoy them up when needed. Good friends are a blessing and can help keep us on the correct path through life. As I contemplate my life, I recognize that there are so many people, like those above, who have been so good to me. I'm thankful and grateful for those who have helped me along through my life. Furthermore, I sincerely hope that my children will also lift up others along the way, just as Sister Casperson lifted me up when I needed it most.
1 comment:
Wow! Reading this brought back so many memories! What a wonderful opportunity we had to serve.
Love,
Anna
Post a Comment