Wednesday, November 17, 2010

7 Years Ago



Seven years ago tonight I was on my way to the hospital to give birth to my first child. At the time, Dale and I lived in San Jose. I remember stopping at Safeway (off of Montague Expressway) on the way to the hospital to buy some Swedish fish and gummy bears to get me through labor. Little did I know that I would be in labor close to 20 hours and that they wouldn't even let me eat.

I remember feeling the anticipation and excitement that comes with new motherhood. I also remember the fear I felt as I was asked to go into the bathroom and change into my hospital gown. The strangest feeling came over me as I realized that there was no turning back. Oh, and the pain . . . it certainly took my breath away, but not as much as when Dr. Hill handed me Laurel for the first time. That moment will forever be embedded in my memory. Such a sweet, sacred moment when you hold your first child for the very first time. Oh, and she was beautiful with a sweet, almost pathetic cry.

Now here we are, seven years and two cities later. So much has happened over these years since Laurel joined our family. So grateful for Laurel and the strength she is in our home. She is a sweet, loving child who loves to have fun, make crafts, and play outside with her brothers. One of her greatest traits is her desire to share everything she has. If she has one piece of gum, she'll either split it in half and share with you, or she'll just give you the entire piece. And the best part about it is that she'll do it with a smile because she loves you and wants nothing more than to show you her love by sharing. Such a wonderful trait will serve her well throughout her years on earth.


2 comments:

Ashley said...

What a sweet girl she is... Happy Birthday Laurel and Jenn remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree :) You are amazing too!

Clueless Blue said...

Happy belated birthday Laurel! I didn't remember her hair was so dark when she was born. And Ryan is such a big boy now! Adorable - he has his own look. Hope to see you over the scool break.