Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving



Life is good, because our family had a fantastic Thanksgiving this year! Although our plans were changed at the last minute, we recovered and put together a fabulous Thanksgiving feast, Christensen style.

Per Madrian tradition, our day began with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade from NYC. As a child, I have many memories of watching that parade as my parents prepped food in the kitchen. There was always something so festive and comforting about watching that parade each and every year. This year was no different.

Dale and I prepared roasted turkey with fresh herbed sausage stuffing, sweet potatoes with pecan streusel topping, rolls (I cheated and bought the Hawaiian rolls, which I will do again because they were tasty), homemade cranberry orange sauce, gravy, fresh green beans, salad greens with blackberry vinaigrette, brussel sprouts with browned butter, and homemade pumpkin pie. It was truly a feast and could have fed a large army. My freezer is full of leftovers ready to be eaten on those future lazy Sundays when I don't feel like cooking.
Here I am sitting in front of our festive table with some of the people I love most in this world (one of which is behind the camera lens). Laurel helped me set the table by writing each of our names on the name cards we purchased at Hobby Lobby. Laurel loves to be involved with anything remotely related to crafts or art.
Right in the middle of the day, our family took a much needed break to visit Tetco (our favorite gas station here in town). As you can see, the kids are holding Thanksgiving themed coloring sheets which can be redeemed for a free Icee at Tetco. I was amazed that the kids wanted an Icee, especially considering our Dallas temperatures had dropped into the 40's. Mom and dad enjoyed the trip to Tetco with our usual caffeinated mix du jour and a nice fat copy of the Dallas Morning News, which was stuffed with all of the Black Friday ads. I'm happy to report that even after salivating over several of the large plasma screen televisions that were on sale, as well as other fun toys, we maintained discipline and saved our money.

We are thankful for so many things this year, mainly our family, our health, and the many friends we have. We look forward to a beautiful Christmas season.


No comments: