
Two years ago today, the world lost a very good woman to cancer. She was a devoted wife, mother to two beautiful children, beloved daughter, and treasured friend. Kristy Casperson Swiderski embodied many of the Christ-like characteristics that I hope to have before I leave this earth someday.
Kristy is special to me for many reasons, among which is her ability to love others unconditionally. I benefited from that love many times, particularly when we served with each other as missionaries in Germany. As companions, we enjoyed the ups and downs of missionary work, but Kristy always made the good and the bad more enjoyable. She was a large ray of sunshine during a very dreary and cold fall and winter of 1997 in Saarbruecken, Germany.
There are many memories of Sister Casperson, but one of my greatest is walking up our steep street (Feldmann Strasse) late one night after a terrible ice storm. The bus was unable to drive up the street that cold winter night, so we got off and walked the rest of the way home. It was so icy that we must have fallen a dozen times as we tried to balance the Christmas packages we had received at zone conference that day. Each time we turfed it, we laughed even harder. So hard, in fact, we cried uncontrollably. I can still hear that laughter in my head - it was one of those nights where everything was so quiet and peaceful that it seemed we were the only ones alive in the world. I'm thankful for that memory as I sit here and think about Kristy. I can still hear her laugh and her voice as she'd call me "Schwes" (Short for "Sis" in German).
The last time I saw Kristy was at our wedding reception in Fresno, California back in 2000. She and her young family took a 4 hour drive to be with us on that special day. She was able to stay long enough to say a brief hello and have a piece of cake. Her family then turned right back around and traveled another 4 hours back home. I was touched that she would sacrifice so much to share in our happiness. For those of you that knew Kristy, you know that she was just that way. She never would have thought twice about it because it was never ever about her - what a terrific attribute to have!
I also remember the preparation day (p-day) we had towards the end of our mission. After running into Kristy and her companion at the temple that day, we invited them to join us for the remainder of the day in Frankfurt. We shopped, ate delicious goodies from the bakery, and just talked. While we shopped, I found a shirt I wanted, but did not have enough money to buy it. After Kristy left that afternoon, I found a package on my bed with that white shirt I had wanted. She left a note mentioning that she hoped I enjoyed the shirt and that she loved me. Again, she was just that kind of a human being.
I found this picture of the two of us standing before the train that would take me to Frankfurt and then onto my new area (February 2008). It was a sad day for both of us - I was losing a sister and friend. Our nearly 4 months together prepared me to be the kind of missionary I needed to be for the remainder of my mission. My heart is full of gratitude as I think back on those times - times that I thought were so hard, but now seem so easy compared to some of the crosses we've both had to bear since then. Any hardship I've experienced since that time certainly pales in comparison to the pain and suffering Kristy endured from the terrible cancer that overtook her body. I'm thankful to understand that these hardships are temporary and that there is a God who loves His children. As promised in Isaiah, "He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces." What a beautiful promise!
I'm going to close this with a special note Sister Casperson left in my scriptures one morning - she did that often. I have carried this notecard with me for the past 11 years and will never part with it:
"When you get a case of lonelies and you think nobody's there
To love, support, and listen,
or to show they even care,
Just reach into your pocket
and pull out this little card.
Nothing could be easier when life seems really hard.
And every time you read it,
it will help remind you, too.
A very special part of me is always there with you."
I'm thankful that I'll always have a part of Kristy. I love you, Sister Casperson - thank you for changing my life for the better. I can't wait to see you again someday! Ich kann dich nie vergessen!
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing that! It's good to write these things down, so those we love are not forgotten here in mortality. I love that we have this new medium to record things that are close to our hearts, and yet we can share those with those we love. I think blogs are a great invention.
Post a Comment