Journey to Bethlehem is a live performance of the journey Joseph and Mary would have taken to Bethlehem to participate in the census and pay taxes. Each person is given a travel passport to carry with them on the journey and a Jewish family (played by members of the congregation) leads your family on a very memorable journey.
At the beginning of our journey, we were nervous that Andrew would not make it. He was terrified by the loud Roman soldier who burst into the room brandishing a sword and asking for our passports. In the silence of the room, you could hear his little tearful voice saying, "I don't like it . . . I want to leave!" The only thing keeping him in that room was the hope that he might spot a monkey on our outdoor journey. I have no idea why he was so intent on seeing a monkey, but I decided not to break his heart by telling him there would be no monkeys on this journey. There were lots of camels, donkeys, and horses, but unfortunately no monkeys for little Andrew.
The spirit was present at this event. As we walked along the dirt path, my thoughts turned to the real journey taken by Mary and Joseph many, many years ago. Having delivered 3 children of my own, I thought of the tremendous travail Mary must have experienced as she not only gave birth to her son, but also traveled many, many miles to get to Bethlehem. Laurel remarked that the path was scary, especially when the Roman soldiers would approach our group. There were also thieves along the road who tried to rob us. I had never imagined the fear they might have felt on the journey, but they must have felt some trepidation.
As we approached the walls of Bethlehem, our family searched for a place to stay. When we least expected it, we came across the manger scene where Mary and Joseph stood holding their newborn son, our Savior. It was such a peaceful experience. What touched me most was watching my children experience the moment. There was a special reverence that overcame both Laurel and Andrew and I think it is something that they will remember.
The words of the song, "Breath of Heaven," came to my mind as I walked through our journey to Bethlehem. I love the Amy Grant version of this song. The words are posted below. As our guide reminded us, each of us must take our own journey to Bethlehem where we find the Christ child and let Him into our life to help us through the ups and downs of life. Some of our journeys involve trials of sickness, sin, heartache, and loss, but the end result is glorious. We will find eternal life through our faith in the Lord as we follow and live His teachings. What a beautiful reminder this event was during this Christmas season. Here are the words to the song:
I have traveled
Many moonless nights
Cold and Weary
With a babe inside
And I wonder
What I've done
Holy Father
You have come
Chosen me now
To carry your son
Many moonless nights
Cold and Weary
With a babe inside
And I wonder
What I've done
Holy Father
You have come
Chosen me now
To carry your son
I am waiting
in a silent prayer
I am frightened
by the load i bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone
Be with me now
Be with me now
Breath of Heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me, your holiness
For your holy Breath of Heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me, your holiness
For your holy Breath of Heaven
Do you wonder
As you watch my face
If a wiser one, should of had my place
But I offer-all I am
For the mercy-of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me
As you watch my face
If a wiser one, should of had my place
But I offer-all I am
For the mercy-of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me
2 comments:
We went Friday night and waited 2 hours until our tour. We've done it 3 years in a row now and the girls still just love it! Great way to start the month off.
Glad you finally made it and enjoyed the evening. Hope to see you this weekend.
Post a Comment