Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Just so I remember . . .


On Monday, I dragged all the kids up to Plano for Andrew's quarterly appointment with his G.I. specialist at Children's Hospital. We have been visiting Dr. Russo since Andrew's birth because of all the issues Andrew encountered from his earliest beginnings. We continue our quarterly visits with Dr. Russo because Andrew has lingering issues, especially since he was diagnosed with with Charcot Marie Tooth syndrome back in 2009. Our family holds a special place in our hearts for Dr. Russo, perhaps one of the best doctors we have ever encountered (and we've encountered quite a few over the past 10 years of our marriage). Heavenly Father has blessed this man with an amazing ability to work with children who are in a lot of pain on a daily basis. I can't begin to express how much he helped me in the beginning when I was asked to pretty much give up every food I loved so I could nurse my child in order to keep him out of pain. He was also so incredibly gentle whenever he needed to do a painful procedure on Andrew as a baby. I swear he was nearly in tears during those appointments knowing how much pain Andrew was in.

So, after stopping for a quick bite at Ikea, the kids and I headed over to the hospital. Dr. Russo started the appointment by asking Andrew and Laurel about Christmas and what they hoped to receive from Santa. He also talked to them about the real reason we celebrate Christmas, which is the birth of Jesus Christ. He then began to examine Andrew proceeded with the remainder of the appointment.

In the middle of all of this, Laurel whispered in my ear, "mom, I want to give Dr. Russo all of my money because of all he does to help Andrew." She stood there with her hands holding no more than $1.75 in change, which to her was as good as a thousand bucks. She meant what she said and would not budge. It was sweet to watch her give all that she had to the man who has helped her brother so much. Not only did it show the gratitude she has for Dr. Russo, most importantly it showed the love she has for her little brother. Laurel is very aware of Andrew and some of the problems he has had. Today she patiently joined me as we sat through three therapy appointments that Andrew attends each Wednesday (physical, occupational, and food therapy).

Dr. Russo accepted her gift with gratitude, but would only take one penny from her because, as he told her, "he has plenty of money" for his needs. He told her to give it to someone who truly needs it. Laurel was born with a giving heart, and for that I am thankful.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Hi Jen! I love all your recent updates, it's so fun to hear all that is going on with you! What a sweet, generous little girl Laurel is! She has a wonderful mother, too. Have a wonderful Christmas!