Wednesday, July 2, 2008

32 years ago . . .

I was born! I was just telling Dale that it seems like yesterday I turned 16, and now here it is 16 years later. So much has happened in those 16 years and even more in 32. I remember my mom taking me to the Utah DMV for my first drivers license . . . it was an unforgettable test. With the instructor in the passengers seat and me at the helm of our large, fluorescent orange striped Chevy "luxury" van (nicknamed the "Bengal van" by my fellow Brighton High School classmates), I embarked on a journey that would bring me freedom. I would be free to date and free to drive myself where I needed to be . . . life couldn't have been better (even if I was in a 1970's fluorescent orange luxury van "Uncle Ricco" van).

I pulled into position and realized I had gone too far. I reversed the car slightly and put my foot on the brake as the instructor sat himself next to me. As the instructor went over a few important parts of the test, I sat there in a daze just wondering how much better life could get. The instructor told me to go ahead and pull forward . . . uh oh . . . the car went BACKWARDS and bumped the car behind me! It seems I had forgotten to take the van out of reverse when I had readjusted the car moments earlier. Surely I had failed the test and by the look on the persons face who owned the car behind me, I was in trouble. To make a long story short, I didn't damage the car behind me and the Utah DMV passed me! How, you might ask? Honestly, I have no idea, but I'm sure glad I passed. My driving has improved phenomonally over the past 16 years and I'm proud to say I've never even had a ticket (knock on wood). Shortly after turning 16, I realized that dating wasn't all it's cracked up to be and I'm happy to say that I'm happily married and enjoy dating my best friend whenever I want.

My 16th birthday was one of the greatest, most memorable birthdays of my life. I enjoyed a great dinner at Market Street Grill by the University of Utah, took a carriage ride around downtown SLC with my parents, and enjoyed a concert afterwards.

Thank you mom and dad for giving me a chance to come to this crazy world. I've enjoyed my journey thus far and look forward to many more adventures to come.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Happiest of birthdays! Aren't we glad we're not 16 anymore? (No, that's not the royal we, that's including myself, cuz I'm sure glad I'm not still as awkward as I used to be.)

melissa walker said...

Happy Day to you! I was thinking your birthday was later on in July--hope you have a wonderful day and a great weekend!