Sunday, July 20, 2008

From Boston to Hamburg . . .


For the past few months, our family has been searching for a piano that would really make our house a home. Both Dale and I are musical, so this has been a top priority for us and now we are finally in a position to do so. For me, this is particularly exciting because at one point in my life, piano was a major part of my life. I spent junior high and high school studying piano and had actually planned to major in piano performance at the University of Utah. Plans changed and I found myself at a different university studying something other than piano. I've often regretted my decision and have felt sad that I have been unable to have a piano in my home that I could enjoy. Dale feels the same way about his voice - he has a beautiful voice but has had little time to do anything with it. Now we both have no more excuses and we're looking forward to rekindling our talents and bringing some joy into our home because we found a great piano.
I found a wonderful Steinway piano (model L) in Salt Lake at Daynes Music. It has all new action (Renner action, which is what they put in the Hamburg Steinway). I went in with the intent to buy a brand new Boston piano, which is also made by Steinway but costs quite a bit less. As I met with the saleperson, he told me that a piano teacher had traded in a piano that day and wondered if I would be interested. I knew I couldn't afford a Steinway, but when they gave me the price, it wasn't much higher than the Boston. I also asked who the teacher was and it ended up belonging to my first piano teacher! When I played the piano, I loved it and after 3 days of pondering over my decision, I decided to go for it. So, we are looking forward to the arrival of our piano and are excited for music to be a part of our lives again. Hopefully music will rub off on our kids and they will be able to enjoy it as much as we have.

4 comments:

Katie said...

How fun for you--I can't believe you've lived this long without a piano! Of course, now you've waited this long you can get a beautiful one to last you a lifetime! Glad you found what you are looking for.

Jenn S. said...

Hooray! Sounds wonderful - we can't wait to hear a Christensen family concert. ;)

(I'll bring my instrument of choice, the tambourine) ;)

vallarie said...

AWESOME!!! Congrats on getting the piano!!! I'll be sure to let your Relief Society know how well you play and that you have the means to practice all you need to, now. LOL

Amy said...

How strange that you got the same piano that belonged to your first piano teacher! Sounds like fate. . .