Is it appropriate to damage property and harm others when you are angry with an outcome? No. In our home, that's called a temper tantrum. Whatever side you're on, this behavior is wrong and I have lost a great deal of respect for those who are fighing for "equal rights for all." This is not the America I know - I am so sad to hear how this democratic process has been handled. Since the founding of this great nation, so many have died fighting for our many freedoms, which includes our right to protest. We are a blessed nation to even have that right! When protesting goes so far as destroying others property and threatening the safety of others, a boundary has been crossed. If you're unaware of what is transpiring, here is an email from my brother that I received this morning:
"The violence hit close to home on Monday night, someone shot at the door to our chapel on Wasatch Blvd and shattered the glass in the door. I spoke with Jim Falls (he lives in Sacramento) on Sunday night and he said that nearly every chapel in his stake had been vandalized, most with spray paint. He said that the men in each ward were asked to take three hour shifts at each chapel to protect the buildings from further damage."
This is a good reminder to me as a parent that I need to be sure and teach my children appropriate ways to express frustration and hurt. They will certainly experience disappointment and frustration with the world around them, but self control must be exhibited. Whatever happened to civility?
No comments:
Post a Comment