Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sponges

Kids are sponges - they absorb more than we realize. Yesterday, Laurel had her little friend Gracie over for a play date. As they helped me make my bed, Laurel noticed that Barack Obama was on the tv. She then proceeded to tell Gracie, with a very matter-of-fact tone, that "Barack Obama is going to take a lot of my daddy's money, but John McCain will take only a little bit." I started to laugh because I couldn't believe she said it. It's true that her dad has been saying that a lot lately, but I had no idea she was actually listening!

While I am concerned about economic issues, I was more concerned about Obama's stance on moral issues, such as abortion. It makes me sad that I even have to teach my children about that word/subject someday - it's vile. Obama didn't get my vote - I couldn't do it because moral issues outweigh economic issues for me. Last week, my stomach churned as I listened to him say to a large crowd that if his two daughters made a mistake (got pregnant), "I don't want them punished with a baby" (http://americaschoicenow.com/ ). Are you kidding me? Babies are not punishments - in the case of unwanted pregnancies, they are innocent bystanders in a cesspool of immorality. The problem is that men and women, young and old, partake of something that belongs in a marriage. When you mess with that power, you can get pregnant. Duh! I'm sure that some of you who are reading this might disagree, think that I'm naive, etc, but you know what . . . that's just the way I see it. We'll just have to agree to disagree. The economy will recover. Recovering from acceptance and encouragement of such behaviors as abortion is difficult, if not impossible. Except in the case of rape, incest, or concern for the life of the mother, abortion is wrong. It's time for society to start taking responsibility for their actions.

I look forward to witnessing the change we've been promised - I hope it's positive change. While I may disagree with Obama's politics, I am proud that this nation has matured enough to put a person of color in the White House. It is remarkable that we have now broken that barrier. It would just be sweeter if I agreed with Obama's politics.

1 comment:

Amy and Dane said...

Hi Jen, Great post and I do agree with what you said about Abortion and Obama. It will be interesting to see what happens. Laurel's comment is adorable and reminds me of something that happened with Harrison this past week. He is in the repeating stage so Dane and I learning very quickly to watch what we say. On occasion of the side of his diaper breaking off in a public bathroom at gateway with no diaper bag, I said 'Crap Dude!' and he hasn't forgot it since, darn these smart sponges!