I love my Laurel. She is thoughtful and reflective, especially with things that mean a lot to her. In preparation for the upcoming Christmas holiday, I thought it appropriate to read her the "Tale of Three Trees" for her bedtime story tonight. With each passing page, she showered me with questions. "Why was Jesus on the tree?" "Why did He ride on the big fishing boat?" "Why did He have to die?" These were all terrific questions and ones which I did have answers to - the difficulty came in trying to describe something so complex and wonderful as death and resurrection to a soon to be 5 year old.
As I described to her Jesus' death and resurrection, I reminded her that we will all die one day. But, because of the wonderful gift of the resurrection, we will all live again. Her face dropped - she said, "but mommy, I don't want you to die!" I probably went too far, or didn't answer the question as well as I could have. Nonetheless, it opened up a very good dialogue between mother and daughter.
We talked about the things she's been learning in Primary and I tried to help her understand that no matter what happens, we will be alright if we do what's right. We will be an eternal family if we keep the commandments and do the things Heavenly Father has asked of us. Tears were shed and hugs were given. It was a tender moment for me to realize how much our little Laurel truly loves her family. What greater reminder could I have had tonight of the important job I have as her mother. She depends on me for so much everyday - food, clothing, affection. But, even more important than those things is the need for me to make sure that she knows the gospel and the great plan of salvation. If she can leave our house one day with the knowledge that she is a child of God and that there is meaning to her life, she will be so much better prepared for the world that will undoubtedly bring her much joy and pain.
As hard as this job is, being a mom a pretty amazing. When I worked, I had important things to do in order for my company to fulfill its obligations. I enjoyed a pay check and the occasional pat on the back. Here I am now with the world literally in my hands - I don't get paid with money and I definitely don't get a lot of pats on the back. But, I do get the sticky fingers pulling on my jeans as my little boy beckons me to hold him. I get the hugs and kisses during bedtime stories that melt my heart. Most of all, I get to experience nights like tonight when I am reminded of what is most important in my life . . . my family.
1 comment:
How wonderful that you got the opportunity to have a talk like that! I truly think God has a hand in helping those conversations happen. I had a talk with my son a few weeks ago that he admitted helped him "feel the spirit more than ever, except maybe my baptism." It's great to be a mom!
Post a Comment