Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day


I think that Dale had a great Father's Day. He woke up to breakfast-in-bed and Laurel singing, "Happy Father's Day" using the birthday tune. The kids loved sitting in bed with dad while he ate. I made a really good cranberry pecan coffee cake, thanks to my sister-in-law's recipe.

After church, we grilled some ribeye steaks and had salad and strawberry shortcake. After dinner we presented Dale with his cards and gifts, which went over quite well. It was a fun day and we're glad we could honor our dad and husband. He's one terrific guy - as I've told Dale many times, I seriously won the lottery when I met him. Laurel and Andrew will know soon enough how lucky they are to have such a great dad - I think Laurel's already figured it out!

I'm also grateful for Dale's dad and feel fortunate that he is a part of our lives. He is a great guy with one of the biggest hearts and a fun personality. He'd do anything for anyone and we love him for it. We hope you had a great day, Dad/Papa Christensen!

I also want to honor my dad and thank him for everything. As I thought about him today, I remembered how he was always at every performance, recital, soccer game, etc with his camera in hand. He coached my soccer team one year and we even won the championship . . . go Chargers! Dad has been and always will be a great dad to me. My dad lost his father when he was a young boy and I've often thought how difficult that must have been to lose your dad before the age of 10. Dad is a strong man and I'm so proud of all that he's accomplished in his life. Leaving Germany at 17 with no family and few possessions could not have been easy. It truly is a tribute to the type of person my dad is . . . he has lived the American dream and along with my mom, has raised 5 children who contribute positively to the world. Thank you dad for being such a great example and for always being there!

2 comments:

Dale said...

It was a great Father's day. Thanks Jen, Laurel, and Andrew!

vallarie said...

Andrew is getting so big! Check out that adorable smile!!!! He is a cute kid for sure!