Friday, June 13, 2008

Symphony and brother's birthday

I've tried for several days now to post pictures and video, but for some reason it won't work. I think it must be the website - if anyone else has experienced this and knows what to do, please let me know. For now, I'm going to go ahead and record, then add some pictures later.

To begin with, my brother James had his 36th birthday on the 12th. James is a great brother. As children, he was 4 years older than I so we often fought and had our differences. I can now admit that I was an obnoxious little sister at times, but in all honesty it was because I liked him so much. And there is so much to like about James. Now he's a grown man with a wife and 4 children. He's one year away from finishing his residency in anesthesiology. We're all so proud of him. He conquored cancer at 21 and has gone on to accomplish much. He currently lives in Coralville, Iowa where all the floods are happening - we are grateful that his home is still standing. Hope you had a great birthday, James!

On Saturday night Dale and I attended a Dallas Symphony concert. It was so much fun! They performed 5 or 6 pieces, but my favorite was Tschaikowsy's 1812 Overture. It took our breath away. It was also so great to be out on a date, just the two of us for the first time in a long time.

For me it was a magical night because I felt as if I stepped back 15 or so years when I was in high school and attended the Utah Symphony on a regular basis. As a member of the Utah Symphony Youth Guild, I regularly performed piano solos in the foyer prior to the concerts. As nervous as I was at times, I really enjoyed the opportunities I had to perform the pieces I had learned. After my performance, I was able to attend the concerts with my parents. It is such a happy memory for me.

As I walked through the beautiful concert hall here in Dallas, I thought back on those days. I'm grateful that I had the drive and discipline to study piano and enjoy the many opportunities I had to perform. I'm also grateful for the time and financial means my parents expended to allow me the chance to develop my talents. Back then, my teacher was a professor at the University of Utah and she charged $35.00 per each 45 minute lesson! That is a lot of money now and it was definitely a lot of money then. Mom and dad, thank you for the sacrifices you made so that I could have such wonderful opportunities.

As I left the concert hall with Dale, I told him how important it is that we introduce our children to good music. I look forward to Laurel and Andrew choosing an instrument, whether it be piano, voice, etc, and learning how to play beautiful music. We're looking forward to purchasing our first piano this summer - I can't even express how excited I am. As I've tried to decorate our home, I've told Dale that there is just something missing. Recently, it finally occured to me that it was music and that we needed a piano. I would take a piano over any piece of furniture, nick-nack, etc. Good music is good for the soul and in this day and age, we need all of the peace and joy we can find. Music is a great place to start.

No comments: